Tuesday, August 2, 2011

La Machita Returns Home

I think I will always be a world traveler. It’s addiction as much as a passion. I love living in a culture, learning about the people and learning from them. Students, parents, and friends alike wonder why we should bother learning other languages. How else can you truly know a culture if you don’t speak the language? You can’t. It’s truly that simple. You can’t fully understand and know a people unless you can communicate with them.

I have tried very hard, and my parents did a wonderful job of raising me to have a global vision and worldliness about myself. I remember telling, not asking, my parents before college even started that I was going to study abroad. Everyone should step out outside of the U.S. at least once in their life. Sure it takes you out of your comfort zone, but that’s how we grow as individuals right? We gain acceptance, vision, tolerance, friendships and experiences that can only come through travel and seeing the world in its natural state. Take a friend, travel alone, backpack it, hike it, go for a week, go for a year, but go. You’ll never regret taking that leap.

On that note, I am unofficially signing off once again for the summer. Small updates always follow throughout the year, but the Costa Rica end of things will cease for a few months.

Pura vida a todos,
Jessica Lynn

1 comment: