Thursday, July 10, 2014

Firsts

I've don't this job for 5 years now, skipping only one year (last year). In total, I've spent 6 summers in Costa Rica either as a student or working for CPI, yet every year brings new experiences. 

This year:
1. The first time I've only spent 4.5 weeks here. That may be a lot for some, but it's not enough for me. 

2. The first time I've been in a country that celebrates soccer as a segunda religión. What an incredible experience to be a part of such energy and love for their sports team. When La Sele arrived back in Costa Rica on Tuesday, the airport was packed with thousands of people and the streets were lined the whole way home for these national figures. It was incredible. 

3. The first time I've ever done zip lining at Hacienda Guachipelín. The zip line runs you through a gorge with a river flowing beneath you. It's one of the most breathtaking zip lines I've done based on sheer beauty. It also has a repelling and rock climbing section!

4. The first time I've seen my friend, Pim, in nearly three years! It was great to have him back with CPI. 

5. The first time I've asked my boss to pull me from a group. This one wasn't necessarily a positive first but nonetheless, still a first. I spent five days with the most challenging group of teenagers I have ever encountered--and I teach high school kids! I had finally reached my breaking point and called my boss to tell her I wanted to be taken off the group. By some miraculous turn of events, the kids (on their own) decided they were being incredibly disrespectful and needed to get it together. They even apologized to me. I spent the final five days being grateful that I stayed on. I wouldn't have changed those last days for anything! The first five days? I think I'll try and erase those from my memory. 


-----------
Getting ready to board my plane soon. I'm not ready to go home just yet. This visit was much too short.

I went to dinner last night with my boss and her middle son at a place called, Octavo, on the eighth floor of the Sheraton overlooking the city. The sangria, seared red snapper and guava lava dessert were amazing. Not to mention the view!



I still have a few things left to blog about, so I'll try and accomplish that on the plane!

Boarding soon!

Pura vida,

Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment