Friday, June 12, 2009

First Weeks in Costa Rica

Hola Amigos,

I'm going to try this out and see how it works. It's tough to keep updates going, but I would like to think that this will work. Disfruta...

I've been in Costa Rica since May 30th and I'll be returning the U.S. on August 8th. I am working for a language school called Centro Panamerica de Idiomas or CPI. I am a chaperone for groups that come to Costa Rica and want to learn Spanish and travel around the country. While the kids are in class I do small tasks like confirming reservations and making reservations for their trip. I am the person that ensures their trip goes as smoothly as possible. I am also the "Fill in the Blanks" person. So when a kid asks, "Where are we going?" I can respond "White Water Rafting." We have a wide range of ages here. Last week I had a group of students from Franklin, Texas with their moms (FT!). Tonight, I am getting a group from Missouri who are mostly middle schoolers and a few parents. So for the next 2 weeks, I will travel with the group, get them to class, and go on all of their excursions with them. I'm getting paid to go rappelling and lay on the beach. Que vida dura... : )

Anyway, this past week was my 'training week' with the other chaperones from the U.S. Three of us are from UD. Gerry, a veteran chaperone, took us around to the different campuses and familiarized us with the personal and local hot spots. It involved a lot of driving and couple of days on the beach. Not bad. We also got hooked up with a snorkel cruise and got to see some cool fish and dolphins. It was my first time snorkeling so I had a blast. We met some great people on the boat from England and Germany and the U.S. We hung out with them later that night at a bar called Las Brisas. While staying in the apartments at the beach, we made friends from some students from Texas State. They are all in their last years or grad school. We watched the NBA finals and just hung out. They are really nice people and fun to chill out with.

Tonight, I am going to the airport to pick up my group from Missouri and we are headed to Arenal Volcano and a Thermal Hot Springs. I am really excited. Some of the Texas State people from Flamingo may be going, so it will be fun to meet up with them if possible. Groups really keep me busy, but that's what I'm here for. I'm learning quickly how to be extremely flexible and work to meet everyone's needs...especially those undergoing intense culture shock.

Well, I need to get back to 'work.' I've had the morning off to just relax and take it easy before my group arrives. I will write again when I can.

To those going to Poultry Days this weekend, have fun and eat lots of chicken. I'll be enjoying my beans and rice or weiners and huevos,

Love,
Jessica

1 comment:

  1. A Renal Volcano? Sounds pretty intense. . .and to be honest very painful.

    Weiners and Huevos. . .My personal Favorite.

    Hopefully they don't let you order when you go out for fast food. . .because the whole menu should not be an option!

    -Your Friend and Brother

    "I'm hanging with the confused trucker this weekend"

    ReplyDelete