Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mango Grenades

I love this picture...I finally figured out how to upload some of the pictures I take.

Hola Todos,

Estoy en Heredia esta semana hasta sabado, entonces voy para Guanacaste y Flamingo. Bueno, if you want to see pictures, take look at my facebook. I haven't figured out if I can upload pictures here yet!

I’m hanging out in my host family’s house right now. They have really good wireless and it is Sunday evening which means everyone is relaxing and lying around. I need this. My group is really laid back which is fantastic, but the kids have sooooo much energy. I turned my back for 30 seconds today and when I turned around 3 of the boys had climbed all the way to the top of a Mango tree and were throwing ‘Mango Grenades’ at the other members of the group. While highly amusing, it was a potential danger to the students and surrounding fountains…

Anyway, this morning started out nicely, the rain last night had cleared away all of the cloud so we had a crystal clear view of Arenal volcano (or as John so eloquently put it, A-Renal volcano). The kids went on a canopy tour. I didn’t participate because I’m going in Monteverde in a couple of weeks and Monteverde has the best zip-lining in the country. (It’s like skiing on the waters in Cumberland and deciding that St. Mary’s is no longer good enough to even tube on : ) ). Anyway, we followed that with a drive back to San Jose, lunch and an hour long tour of the capital. We drove past the president’s house which is in the middle of a neighborhood and only has one civil cop that sits in a booth at the house. Every morning, the president goes outside for a run and then stands at his gate and greets people. There is no “White House” for the president to stay in here and no secret service. It was truly amazing.

My day finished with dinner with my host family and relaxing. I have a full week ahead with tours with my group and such, but I am looking forward to it! Now, if you’ll let me digress for a moment…

Today, while driving I took special note of the drivers and traffic in Costa Rica. While this was not the first time I noticed how the driving works here, I was particularly amused and wanted to share a few things. First of all, I’m convinced that every time you get in a car and dare to ease your way onto the roadways, you are putting your life on the line. What is particularly amusing is that parents who send young children down here forbid them to bungee jump out of fear that they might die. Might I suggest then, that parents not let their children get in a car or bus instead. The child stands a better chance bungee jumping!

Anyway, road rules here function more like guidelines (which you are free to change at any time). It seems that it is your prerogative to decide which signs you do or do not wish to abide by. There’s a no passing zone and a car approaching in the other lane but the car in front is too slow? Never mind them, I’ll drive down the middle and the cars on either side will move. It’s true, cars do this all time. Stops signs mean you pause…maybe. Horns are used constantly as a friendly greeting or when you are unhappy with someone else’s maneuver (probably one that prevented you from making a similar maneuver), thus horns are honking constantly. Of course, added to the madness is the fact that at many points along the way the drivers are also dodging potholes and mud holes which just adds to the chaos. So, added to the fact that you are passing someone illegally, you are now weaving wildly down the road to avoid major damage to the car. It’s a like a scene of a cartoon.

Needless to say, I’ve had my fair share of close encounters and there are plenty more to come. Because pedestrians absolutely do NOT have the right of way, drivers find it particularly amusing to come as close to you as possible if you are seemingly in their way. We nearly ran a cyclist off the edge of a mountain today. So is life in the bosque... : ) Me encanta.

All right, it’s nearly time for bed. Have a wonderful week!

Dios les bendiga,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment