Thursday, June 18, 2009

Say Guanabana 10 Times Fast


¡Buenas tardes a todos!

Today was a pretty stressful day in the office. I was training a new worker (my former Tico Brother) and while he is a great worker, it’s tough to train someone and still accomplish everything on your own list. I was put in charge yesterday for the rest of the week and wow, was it exhausting. I really enjoyed the challenge though and was extremely appreciative that after such a short time I was trusted with so much responsibility. It reassured me that I am doing some good things at CPI!

My group today started off with Spanish class and then Latin cooking class where they made some decent Arroz con Pollo (chicken with rice). A teacher then made Guanabana refresco for the group. It is phenomenal. If I should ever get my hands on some Guanabana back in Ohio (or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter) I’m making everyone Gaunabana en leche. It’s a really refreshing and natural made fruit juice. It went over big with the kids too!

We then headed to the Cariari Mall to watch the movie Up! It’s a really cute movie and the kids entertained themselves with nachos, popcorn and the arcade beforehand. Boys will be boys…

I just arrived back at my homestay about an hour ago to eat with my family and relax for a little bit. Tomorrow afternoon the group is going to Café Britt and I’m looking forward to that tour. I have never gone before and I’ve heard it’s a really fun tour and trip. The kids then have the afternoon off and so do I! I follow up with a day off on Saturday too before transferring to Flamingo for a week. I’m looking forward to the beach…

I’m going to take a moment now to explain where I am while I have the chance. At this moment I am in San Joaquin de Flores which is a quiet town 10 minutes outside of the capital of San Jose. The town holds maybe 8,000 residents and has a MegaSuper (sort of like a small version of Wal-Mart) and a few bars and pizza joints. There is a Catholic Church and plaza where there is always a soccer game going on with men or young kids. I live within 4 minutes of the school if I’m walking, which I always do. People walk everywhere around here, which is great! I usually tell people that I’m in the capital because it’s an easy point of reference, but I’m actually closer to Heredia which is a slightly bigger town with a university in it. It’s about a 7 minute cab ride from San Joaquin and has a younger crowd and nightlife because of the university.

The CPI Heredia campus is where I spend most of my time right now. CPI has two other campuses: Monteverde (in the Monteverde Cloud Forest) and in Flamingo (on the Pacific Coast). I travel between all of these campuses on a weekly basis and usually stay in one place for about a week or so before moving on. Next week, I will be in Flamingo on the beach… whoo!

All right, I am going to watch some soccer highlights and head to bed. I got to talk to Mom and Kristen tonight on skype which was eventful. : )

Amor y besitos,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment