Sunday, June 28, 2009

Flip! Flip! Flip!


Yesterday I promised to write more on the snorkel cruise that I took on Thursday with the group. But first let me mention that I know why mass is held so early in the morning around here. Yesterday, I was lamenting at how I missed evening masses at UD because I had to get up early today and go to mass at 8 a.m. instead of 6 p.m. like I’m accustomed to. However, upon arriving at Church already breaking a sweat because of the heat, I understood why masses couldn’t be held any later in the day. It would be too hot!

Anyway, Thursday was the group snorkel cruise in Tamarindo. Tamarindo is about 40 minutes from Flamingo and has been given the nickname ‘Tama-gringo’ because of all the ‘gringos’ that go there to surf and vacation. It does have great surfing though. At 1:30, the ponga (dingy) came ashore and took the group out to the Marlin del Rey catamaran that would be our vessel taking us to the snorkel point. The catamaran was probably 50 feet in length and had a covered bar area. The front had mesh nets that people could lie on and watch the sea traveling below them. It was a very nice boat. The crew had an open bar and plenty of snacks, fruit, and roasted chicken for all. The boys found it particularly daring to order a Piña Colada (sans alcohol). They took great pride in saying they were drinking a piña colada too.

Once we arrived at the snorkel point, the crew passed out fins, snorkel masks and noodles (as a makeshift floatation device) and the kids dove in. Again, because the tide was so dangerous it was too difficult to get near any really good snorkel spots so most of the people on board just dove off the side of the boat or relaxed in the water with a can of Imperial in hand. They also didn’t have enough snorkeling gear for all 50 people on board so I just hung out in the water and enjoyed swimming around in the blue waters. After a while, the boys began jumping off the side of the boat and one boy in particular was able to convince half the group into trying front flips…including me.

Thankfully, the sides of the catamaran sit about 8 feet above water and I had already dove off them once when the boys pushed me in earlier. I was also thankful that I had somewhat of an idea of what I was doing. So, giving into the peer pressure I did a front flip off the side with the other boys. However…upon resurfacing and getting back on the boat, the boys remembered that back flips were actually my specialty and it would be much cooler to do a back flip off of the boat because no one else could do one. There was no backing down either once the group of boys started chanting wildly “FLIP! FLIP! FLIP! FLIP!” Naturally, this caused enough of a ruckus on the boat to bring the whole crew out front and half of the other snorkel enthusiasts to watch the display. After nearly slipping off the side of the boat at first because one of the boys bumped me, I backed out on to the edge of the boat and a little flair threw my back tuck and landed gracefully in the way (thank goodness). As I returned to the boat, I was greeted by applause and the boys once again chanting ‘FLIP! FLIP!’ So I did one more for the people and called it day…

So after my small display, we pulled anchor and began the voyage back to the marina. The kids woofed down some more food and we began to watch the sun fall into the ocean. First however, I received a text message from my boss informing me that Michael Jackson had died. Well this caused more of an uproar than my back flip. News spread like wild fire on the boat and I had 50 people asking me if I was sure and what the details were… Eventually, I got in touch with my boss and figured out the details and was able to report back to the boat what had happened. Shortly thereafter Billy Jean was blaring on deck and my boys were dancing a tribute dance to the late Michael Jackson.

All in all, the snorkel cruise (although lacking in snorkeling) was a blast. The sunset was beautiful and the kids had a great time. We returned to the marina just as the sun was setting and took the ponga back to shore. It was a fantastic day.

All right, I’m going to go for a run while it’s still cool. I have a meeting tonight at 6 but most of the day off until then! Whoo!

Amor,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment