Saturday, July 18, 2009

Blame it on the Boogie

My room is on the top far right.
Pool at Hotel Monte Campana



Don’t blame it on sunshine, don’t blame it on moonlight, don’t blame it on good times, blame it on the boogie.

Today was our final day of service and it involved the day camp once again. Today however, because the camp was for all girls instead of all boys. This made for a more organized and relaxed experience. The program was the same with sports in the morning and arts and crafts in the afternoon. The girls were different though because they were much more shy than the boys and it took more of an effort to get them involved. In the end though it was a great experience, but exhausting!

Last night I was convinced a storm that rolled in was going to be the end of Hotel Monte Campana. It was like the day on the beach where the lightning was literally on top of us and the rain was pouring down. Now add to it that this hotel is on the top of a mountain so the winds were exceptionally brutal and you can imagine my concern for my hotel room. Good news though, the hotel is still standing and even made it through a similar experience again this afternoon. I should give the structure of this hotel more credit…

Anyway, I still love this group I am with. We (the chaperons and I) are singing all the time to any song that we remotely know the words too. We joke all the time and have so much fun. Again, we are convinced that we’ve had more fun than anyone. I am going to miss them…

Today was also my last day working with Gail and the La Carpio kids. Gail is truly an inspiration to me and I am continually encouraged by her. What I have seen and felt this summer has been overwhelming, but it’s what I do with this emotion that is most important. I don’t know exactly how I can make an impact just yet, but I am ready to do so. I have been touched by the lives of the people and these children. One minute I am angry at the world for the struggle of these people, and then I am just heart broken and later I am overjoyed that I have been given this opportunity. I don’t want to walk away from this summer and forget what I’ve seen and what I now know.

However, I’m now headed down below to finish up with the programming for the kids tonight.

I want to put on my my my my my boogie shoes...

Pura vida mae,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment