Friday, July 3, 2009

Sweet Farmer Tan

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

Wow. Today was incredible. And that word has so many meanings. We worked on an incredible project today with Habitat, we worked incredibly hard, and it was incredibly hot. I also have an incredible farmer’s tan and I am incredibly tired. I am incredibly happy.

Today, we finished digging the trenches for the foundation of the house. It was sweltering outside with little air movement and lots of sun. The ant under the microscope analogy comes to mind. Regardless, the kids put up a pretty good effort. There were 5 or so kids at my worksite that really worked hard and I was really proud of them. Naturally, there were numerous times as the day wore on that the other group leaders and I looked up and noticed we were the only ones still working. No pasa nada, we just found ways to motivate the kids to get back to work… Food is always good motivation. : ) Anyway, I found real motivation for myself just by knowing that I was really doing something to dramatically change someone’s life.

One of the neatest moments during the day was when the director brought out the floor plans for the house. It was really great to see what we were working toward. We were just starting the foundation, but to me, that is the most important. A strong foundation builds a strong house. For me, there is something to be said for being the one to complete the foundation. I am reminded of the work that Dad and I did in Peru. We were there for the foundation too. When we saw the completed picture a year later, it was incredible knowing that the entire building was depending on our efforts building the foundation. It’s all pretty overwhelming to me sometimes. (I am only thankful that these are 18 inch ditches as opposed to 4 feet ditches like in Peru).

Anyway, I sweated off all my gallo pinto (rice and beans breakfast) by 9 a.m. and then proceeded to acquire a really sweet cut-off farmer’s tan by 10. It was a successful day all around. We actually broke off in groups today and that worked really one. One group actually went over to another house that’s being built and worked there for a while.

Today ended with playing games on the beach and group bonding. I enjoy watching all of the games being played and learning about the kids. I really am enjoying this group.

Okay, I am exhausted and desperately need sleep. I love and miss you all.

Amor y abrazos,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment