Friday, July 17, 2009

Rice and Bean Bellies and Speedos

Today I received a startling wake up call at 5:58 a.m. that wasn’t even for me. In fact, it was actually for the person two doors down. However, the violent pounding sent me catapulting out of my bed thinking I was late for my morning ab routine with the other female chaperons downstairs. Much to my dismay when I peaked out my window, no one was there and I was up 45 minutes earlier than necessary.

Rather than go back to sleep, I laced up my running shoes and went for a 20 minute run. Half uphill, half downhill. It was brutal. I returned just in time to meet up with the ladies downstairs and do our daily ab-routine. From there I headed behind the hotel to my little patch of grass and flat ground to throw a couple of back tucks. I am determined not to lose my gymnastic skills over the summer!

After showering and breakfast, the group headed to La Sebana, a recreational park, for our day camp with the kids from La Carpio. The first half of the morning for me was spent patrolling the pool area with another chaperon who is also a certified lifeguard. These kids were wild! They were doing front flips and back flips off the side, running everywhere and diving in the shallowest ends. It was chaos, but thankfully no one was hurt during our pool time. The second half was spent on the soccer field and we had a blast! Gringos versus Ticos. You can imagine who won…it wasn’t the gringos. Anyway, after soccer, it was lunch time and then the afternoon finished with arts and craft time.

We were on constant watch all day with our belongings. As much as you want to trust the kids, you know that you can’t. It’s sad to have to feel this way, but we were constantly eying the kids if they went near our bags. As unfortunate as it is, this is the way the children are raised and you can not deny that if you want to keep your belongings. That doesn’t make you feel any better though.

Regardless, being at a public pool today, I had the rare opportunity to witness Costa Rican male swimwear fashion—which, I might add, is not fashionable at all. The over 60-somethings in Costa Rica all feel the need to compliment their 60-something year old rice and bean bellies with an itty bitty little Speedo. Not exactly what you would call eye candy roaming pool deck. I guess it works though; it was much easier to stay focused on the kids while on ‘duty.’

So is life here in the bosque… We finished off the day with a trip to the mall and movies to watch Harry Potter. It was a great movie! Tomorrow we head back to day camp so I’m headed to bed now!

Buenas noches,
Jessica Lynn

1 comment: