Thursday, July 16, 2009

Laundry Day


Yesterday was officially laundry day. Because I refused to pay $12 for a load of laundry, I decided to use my resources: a packet of tide-to-go, my bathtub and my ceiling fan. Over the past couple of weeks, I have accumulated a pretty good pile of laundry after working for Habitat for Humanity, the coffee co-op and in La Carpio, so I finally broke down and decided to do it for myself (typically a mamatica does it for me).

So I plugged the drain to my bathtub and turned on the ‘hot’ water. It wasn’t really that hot and it would fluctuate between scalding hot water and freezing cold, so that in the end I had lukewarm water to work with. It was almost like having a real washer. I dumped in the packet of tide-to-go and began moving the water around with my feet to mix it up. I then proceeded to dump all of my laundry into the tub and strategically position the articles so that every piece was in the water and was soaking in the soapy mixture. I let the water continue to run a little bit while sloshing the water and clothes around with my feet and hands to get the full effect of a washing machine. (I can picture Mom cringing right now).

After agitating the garments for about 10 minutes, I let them soak for about an hour and went downstairs to hang out with the other chaperons. When I returned, I scrubbed the shirts and pants accordingly and then began draining the water so I could rinse the clothes. I rinsed each piece individually in cold water (because that’s all that was left at this point) and squeezed out as much water as possible. Because I lack a clothes line or drying rank, I began laying out shirts and pants all over the room until it looked like my suitcase had blown up. Thankfully, there was a pretty strong wind outside so I hooked some shirts and pants to my window and let the wind dry them out. Meanwhile, inside I turned my ceiling fan on high and let it go to work on the other clothes. That is, until the electricity went out.

Around 11 p.m. the electricity went out, and as of 10 a.m. this morning, we still don’t have it back. So, long story short, I have half dried clothes all over the place and I don’t think the cleaning ladies are going to be able to find my bed. Thankfully, there is still a nice wind outside that I can utilize until I have to leave for the day.

However, despite my rather simple method, my room does smell like a fresh load of laundry has been completed and given the ‘smell-test,’ all of the clothes now have passed. I’m going to call this a success. Yes Mom, I am your daughter. : )

1 comment:

  1. hhahahaha laughing so hard right now! love and miss you

    ReplyDelete