Monday, July 27, 2009

Bus and Busts


Here’s a little update of what Kristen and I have been up to the last few days.

By the way, I think in my last entry I failed to mention my latest public bus debacle as I tried to get to the airport to pick up Kristen. It began normal enough. I took the 10:00 a.m. bus which naturally arrived on Tico Time at 10:38. This was after I nervously harassed the front desk personnel at CPI as to where the bus was. Finally on the bus, I kept a peeled eye for my airport stop. However, upon talking to the locals on the bus, I was informed that the bus would actually drive through the airport area so I wouldn’t need to worry about getting off. Two hours later we go blazing by the airport; there would be no stopping this bus.

Approximately two minutes leaving the airport in the dust, I ring the bell on the bus and the driver asks where I need to go, I tell him the airport. He laughs and I ask if I can just walk back to the airport. He agreed. So I get off the bus and begin a 20 minute walk back to entrance of the airport. Mind you, this is along the PanAmerican Highway so there is no shortage of cars and buses flying past. I finally reach the entrance of the airport with a beet red face, huff and puffing because I think I’m going to be late to pick up Kristen only to find I still have another kilometer or so to walk before I actually get to the airport terminal. Thankfully, about 100 meters into my trek a shuttle van pulls aside and asks if I want a ride. I gladly jump in, free of charge. (Kristen says this is the story of my entire Costa Rica existence—taking up free rides from people)

Anyway, I arrived to the terminal an hour early because her flight was delayed in Atlanta. Apparently the 20 minute speed walking experience was to no avail. No worries mae, I just burned off all the gallo pinto from breakfast.

Okay, back to live action. On Friday, Kristen and I searched out a beach called Playa Conchal and spent the day relaxing and watching an older woman get obliterated by the huge waves. We also watched her lose her hat (and bikini top) when one particularly large wave caught her by surprise. There were things flying everywhere. The beach was great and we got a late start so we didn’t have to spend as much time lying around wandering what we were going to do with the day. We grabbed pizza in Brasilito at a place called Il Forno and then caught a taxi back to Guanacaste Lodge.

After showering, we walked in toward Playa Flamingo to watch the sunset and once again, the sunset didn’t disappoint. It was beautiful. From there we headed to a plaza area and hung out next to a water fountain and waited on music to begin at a bar called Angelina’s…except it never began. Apparently, they don’t play music on Fridays and Saturdays like I previously was told. So we just ordered a couple of drinks and hung out before calling it a night. This was our big night on the town, by the way.
So ended Day 3 in Costa Rica for the hermanita…

No comments:

Post a Comment