Friday, July 20, 2012

Happy Heart

This summer FLEW by here in Costa Rica.

I can't even begin to count the memories, ups, downs, and over all gladness and gratefulness that I experienced. In has been yet another incredible summer!

My work here this year varied between managing my group group, and taking on supervisor/managerial duties. I was entrusted with a lot more responsibilities this year (and LOVED it). I truly enjoyed the supervisor end of things. I never thought I would be good at that kind of position, but as I realized quickly, I actually preferred that type of responsibility. I guided, trained and oversaw chaperones of groups for our department as well as met with professors/chaperones of groups coming in to discuss their own itineraries. It's amazing that I kept all of their itineraries straight in my head. Arelys has three times as many to keep straight...I wonder how she does it? :)

Why I'll always come back:
I tell people this is my summer home, and it's the truth. Costs Rica is a home to me now. I have very dear friends down here that I am ever excited to see and spend time with. There is Muni and her family, and then my boss, Jonle, and her family whom I adore. Some of my favorite memories from the summer involved those people and just spending time in the office or at their homes with them. I am ever grateful that they accept me back every year to work for CPI and mesh into their daily lives. My trips here wouldn't be the same without them. :)

I think the Dutch girl is very wrong in her conviction about not continuing to visit the same place and to see other places. She's not the first to say that and others question my travels as well saying, " Don't you want to get out and see other places?" The short answer is, yes, of course. And I will. I already do. I think the frustration in their line of questioning is that maybe they've never spent long enough somewhere or been outside the walls of their resort or even their own country to have built the bonds like I have. Anyone can visit a country and the see the people in it. I know the people in it.

There is something to be said for that, I think. :)

As I head back to the U.S. to embark on the next part of my travels, I will make my usual adjustments and forget that my toilet paper goes back in the toilet now and that "gracias" and "buenos días" will get funny looks from people.

Feliz verano a todos! Happy summer everyone.

Chaito,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment