Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Walkabout with 34

Well, my new group is officially getting acclimated to Costa Rica. I’ve been answering A LOT of questions thus far, and I honestly feel like a Costa Rica expert at this point. : ) I’m not, but sometimes I like to think I am.

After a long day on Sunday, all of the CPI chaperones were treated to dinner at Tacontento near San Jose. It was delicious! Monday, my group got situated into their classes and then went for a walking tour of Heredia. Imagine taking 34 gringos on the public bus for the first time. It was quite the experience. Thankfully, I had Jesús and Pim to help me help. I led the group and Jesús and Pim covered the middle and the caboose of the entourage.

After successfully making it to the market in Heredia, we ate lunch inside the Market and then headed to the plaza in the middle of Heredia. Pim successfully got pooped on by a pigeon, and Jesús, being a good friend, lent a hand cleaning it up. I just laughed...and took a picture.


The bus trip back was rather uneventful, but once back in San Joaquin, Pim, Jesús and I had to walk all of the students to their home-stays. I am pretty sure I walked to Panamá and back to get one girl home…

Not much else to recount other than this week is a locura in the office. West Coast groups start arriving this week…

My group right now is pretty tranquilo and their professor is muuuuy tuanis. I think I’m going to like this group : )

Time to check in on the students during their coffee break!

Chao pescado,
Jessica Lynn



A special note: the word gringos here in Costa Rica is NOT derogatory. It only points out that we are North Americans, not ticos. Costa Ricans have a way of pointing things out about people in an affectionate manner. For instance, I am often called machita because I have light hair (both men and women alike). Cultural lesson for the day... : )

2 comments:

  1. On the topic of gringos...I have been told that it refers to specifically people from the USA and that it is also used to describe foreigners in general. In my experience it is specifically folks from the USA...other nationalities are specified....another observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...definitely good to know. : )

    ReplyDelete