Sunday, June 5, 2011

When Pigs Fly




...I'll run a marathon.


That's what I told myself for 24 years of my life. And then, at 24 and 1 month, I thought it suddenly sounded like a good idea.


I ran my first full marathon on May 1 in Cincinnati. It was great! I had, arguably, the BEST pit crew covering great lengths and areas to ensure my success. To be completely honest, I could not have done it without them.


My mom and sister cheered from the sidewalks and cheered even louder as I came in to the finish.


My brother started the race with me and then jumped back on the course for the last 1/2 mile to run in with me. As I was immensely fatigued and ready to cross the finish, he talked me through the last grueling steps, pointing out people that I should try to catch or to beat. I apparently had enough gas left to try to hold a conversation with him until he informed me, "Let me do the talking, just run." I liked that idea the best. What an amazing thing to have him on the course with me.


And then there is my dad. I have trouble finding the words to describe my immense gratitude and love for his desire to see me through my entire journey and make sure that I had everything I needed to succeed. I covered 26.2 miles that day. My dad covered 15 miles on foot to ensure that I had dry shoes and socks if I needed them, food, gels, and support. My excitement (and relief) was evident in my running and expression when I saw him at miles 11 and 19 waiting patiently along the route with all my extra gear and food.


Of course, the food he handed me at mile 11 I promptly handed back to him at mile 19 after being tired of carrying it. Although, I think it was a good thing because he didn't have any food out with him, and if you do the calculations, he still had a 7 mile walk back to the finish line to meet up with the family. We are bringing his bike next time. : )


I had such a positive experience that I am going back for more this fall. I think I'd like to qualify for Boston seeing as though I finished 1 minute off the current qualifying standards. Next year, they become a little more difficult, but I'd like to still try. Plus, my sister and I have to run one together...although she has since sworn them off. Love you, hermanita osita. : )


Okay, I am off to Costa Rica in 3 days! Just spent a weekend at the state track meet and relaxing by the pool today! Oh the life of a teacher and coach... (P.s. I get my own room next year!!)



Ok, hasta pronto,


Jessica Lynn










No comments:

Post a Comment