Saturday, June 19, 2010

Banano Loco

¡Buenas tardes!

I spent Friday finishing volunteer work at the school with the kids before returning to work for the afternoon. Movie night was cancelled so that freed up my evening a little. My big evening off: packing and sleep. I transferred out to Arenal with the group today and then we are headed to Flamingo tomorrow to meet the new host families.

Today was an adventure of varying degrees. It started out when my luggage transportation arrived. It was a mid-size pickup truck. I actually thought the driver was mistaken, but no, it was I that stood corrected. We loaded the students’ luggage into the back of the pickup while it was pouring down rain. To keep the suitcases dry we managed to jimmy rig some pieces of tarp and plastic together with some rope. It seemed to have worked well enough… Once we tried to get underway, it was realized that the other van wouldn’t start, so once again the students had to push it down the road to get it started. This was all before 7:30 a.m.

Once on the road, however, things seemed to smooth out and we arrived at Don Juan’s Organic Farm right on time. A short tour and organic lunch followed before heading into the town of San Carlos, or La Fortuna. Remind me to tell my family that there isn’t much going on in San Carlos so we can take our sweet time driving there.

Right now, I’m at the base of Volcán Arenal and enjoying relaxing and listening to the rain. In about an hour, the group is headed to the hot springs. Assuming I’m not sporting a rice and bean belly yet, I’ll don my swimsuit and enjoy the springs too. I'm thinking I'll introduce Meggie to the banano loco that is complementary for guides.

Oh, and I am sitting through one of the hardest rains I’ve seen down here this year wondering if I should even attempt to get back to my cabin…I’m thinking otherwise.

Arroz y frijoles,
Jessica Lynn

P.s. Kristen, if you’re reading this, I looked all over for Jet bars today and couldn’t find them! I will keep searching. I must keep searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment