Thursday, June 10, 2010

Monkey Sounds

Rockin' my CPI gear.
Kely y Yessica take on Heredia.

I’ll give credit to my brother for the title of today’s entry. This has been his signature sign off for emails/text since I’ve been in CR. Ever since I ‘wowed’ my family with my rather accurate impression of a howler monkey, he’s been quick to remind me of my talent.

It takes a special person to witness my talent. It’s all the rage on jungle tours. Ask anybody.

Anyway, today was my first official day of work and I’m not sure exactly what I accomplished because most of my time was spent readjusting myself to the language and being reminded how much I really do still have to learn in the language! Oh boy.

Last night I got a full night’s sleep so I was awake by 5 a.m. I was at work by 7:30 and so began my day preparing for my group that comes in Saturday. I have almost everything ready to go which is a good feeling.

Tonight I met up with my good friend from college Kelli (pronounced Kee-lee if you’re our host mom in Spain) for dinner in Heredia. I was so excited to see her! We ate dinner at a soda and spent the better part of two hours catching up. It was a wonderful evening that I am so thankful to have shared with her. We probably could have stayed longer, but Tico buses don’t wait for Gringa Girls. Hopefully I can see her again before I leave. Anyway, it was a great way to finish out my day. Kelli has been living in Costa Rica for 10 months working in a school during the day and is looking to stay in Costa Rica for maybe another year—more incentive to return to CR for me. : )

My Spanish is improving, poco a poco. I have a long way to go, and I know this. It’s difficult to understand nearly everything you hear but not being able to reciprocate your thoughts verbally. Patience…

Tomorrow is the first game in the Copa del Mundo de Futbol (World Cup) at 6 a.m. CST featuring México y Sudáfrica. My host family is planning on waking up early, making gallo pinto and being ready for the game at 6 sharp. I just plan on waking up. I think I’ll wake up, run and then sit down for the game. I plan on watching the U.S. on Saturday though!

Ok, time to call it a night and get some sleep. Tomorrow my boss and her sons will be coming in to CPI. I am really looking forward to seeing them!

Nos vemos, mañana!

Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment