Tuesday, June 22, 2010

El Señor Sapo y La Polilla (Mr. Toad and the Moth)

Sounds like a fairytale doesn’t it? Well, allow me to inform you that at 4:45 in the morning, neither of these seem much like a fairytale.

I had a small zoo in my bedroom this morning.

Let’s begin. At approximately 4:30 a.m. I was awakened by the sound of something hitting the walls and windows inside of my room. I remained in bed because it was dark, I couldn’t see anything, and I thought I could tolerate it. Fifteen minutes later, I could no longer sleep because the fluttering of wings against the window was too obnoxious to ignore. As my eyes gradually adjusted to the darkness, I saw a moth about the size of my hand sitting on the wall. Awesome. I climbed out of bed knowing I would never sleep with this creature flying around me and spent the next 10 minutes ‘ushering’ it out of my room with my bath towel. In the spirit of the Tico culture, I try not to kill things thus, my exhaustive efforts to see that it made it outside alive.

Finally free of the giant moth, I made my way to the bathroom to use the facilities. Upon entering the bathroom I was first greeted by a centipede. This animal was not so lucky. Either the centipede or millipede is poisonous and because I couldn’t remember which one was more dangerous, this creature suffered at the mercy of my sandal. I’m sorry, Costa Rica. Feeling better, I took one more step toward the bathroom and was alarmed to see a large frog sitting in my shower looking up at me. Neither one of us could move, so we just sat there looking at each other until he hopped a little bit and hid under the shower curtain. Satisfied that he was out of sight, I used the bathroom and went back to my room wondering what to do.

As I laid in bed (gearing up for my big race) I heard a couple of hops and then nothing. By the time I went back in 30 minutes later the frog was gone. I have no idea where it went or how it got in for that matter, but it was gone. I can’t imagine what will await me tomorrow. : )

Anyway, I had my big 5k race today. It should be noted that this is my second 5k ‘race’ ever—outside of the one that I raced against two other teachers in the fall. None have been official but they have been fun. I lost today but it still felt good. Time: 22:49 on hills. I’ll take it.

It is 7:30 a.m. now. Time to get my day going with volunteer work and classes!

Chao pescado, <-- Oh look, another animal…
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment