Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Costa Rica Running 101

Buenos días : )

I got up this morning and went for a run like always and decided that if anyone is reading this and happens to visit Costa Rica and go for a run, they should know a few things first.

1. When in Rome… Down here, most Ticos walk with the traffic. I was never really comfortable with this, but trying to follow Tico customs I used to run this same way: with traffic. I wouldn’t recommend it. At least when you’re running against traffic, you can jump into the ditching when a crazy, pothole avoiding bus approaches you head on.

2. Think: Luis Sacher’s book Holes: Run as close as you can to them on dirt roads. Why? Because you can easily run around them, and the cars won’t go near them. This frees up plenty of space for you to run.

3.Holy Torrential Downpour: it’s inevitable. Just be aware that your shoes may not dry for days.

Last night I taught dance class to my group. Yes, this gringa teaches Salsa and Merengue with a little bit of Cumbia and Bachata. Last night we only got to Salsa because the group was so big and because I made them have a dance off. It was a lot of fun! I wish we could do Zumba with them. I’ve been to a few classes, and wow is it a blast! It’s a pretty workout too! Double bonus.

With this group, I basically have a full time job making sure they are a fed. I have to take care of their lunch and dinner menus everyday and I feel like all I do is ask for food orders! We volunteered at a local elementary school today painting, weeding, and beautifying. We will be back there for one more day tomorrow to finish the project.

Most young children in Costa Rica attend public schools where the education is free. When Costa Rica abolished its army in 1948 the government put that money towards education, thus, Costa Rica has a 98% literacy race. In this particular town, there aren’t a lot of resources to ‘fix up’ the school. What little resources they do have, they put toward school supplies. This is where we come in. We paint, repair, and tend to the lawn area so the students have a beautiful setting to walk into each day. It’s a pretty neat transformation of the school.


I also went on the best snorkel cruise ever yesterday. This water wasn't very clear so we lacked any great fish sightings, but it was still fun nonetheless. The last time I was on this particular cruise, it was a year ago with Kristen and it was in the middle of a tropical storm. The waves were also pretty big yesterday, so we had numerous kids at the back of the boat sending their goldfish back to sea. Pura vida.


Smooth sailing...New group Chaps and I on the snorkel cruise.

Okay, time to get more food orders. Yum!

Arroz y frijoles,
Jessica Lynn



P.S. This is was the view from my bedroom at my last homestay. Not bad, eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment