Monday, June 14, 2010

Mañana Oscura, Tarde Segura

¡Buenos días!

I arrived in Monteverde yesterday afternoon after lunch on the road and a van that wouldn’t start without a gentle push down a hill. It was eventful.

Once at the school, however, the students took their placement tests for Spanish and I gave them a brief introduction to Costa Rica and their homestays. I called it Homestay 101. I gave them all of the important information about how to work the showers, how much food they would be given and where to put their toilet paper. I kept it light and amusing and actually enjoyed the whole experience. Because Meggie had another group here at the same time and there was an emergency in Flamingo, I was enlisted to give my spellbinding orientation twice to the other group from a college in California. I used a lot of dry humor during my presentation but the groups seemed to laugh a lot and my boss enjoyed it too. I might have another job calling my name. : )

After we got everything squared away at the school, Meggie and I headed to our apartments next to CPI. I am staying in something similar to a matchbox with just enough room for a bed, small sink, and tiny bathroom. I love it! It’s really cozy and Meggie and Muni are just down the way. After settling in, Meggie and I went to Santa Elena for food and ran into a professional guide that she knows and his friend. We finished our food and headed to another establishment called Mata e Caña before calling it a night.



My room!

Today, my group when to the mariposario (butterfly farm) and had cooking class. I really enjoyed the mariposario today. I have never been there and the vegetation and butterflies were really intriguing. Currently, the students are in their Spanish classes and I’m working on uploading pictures to the CPI website.




Mariposa.


On a side note, the title ‘mañana oscura, tarde segura’ means “dark morning, certain afternoon.” It’s like saying a dark morning means it’s certainly going to rain in the afternoon. The phrase is kind of like “red skies in the morning, sailors take warning…”
Me gusta.

Ok, time to work. Chao for now!

Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment