Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tommy Bahama

¡Un gran saludo a todos!

I’m back! In Costa Rica that is… I made the successful journey from the Midwest to the rainforest today. It feels good to be here.

The plane ride from Detroit to the ATL was exciting. I hadn’t experienced turbulence like that since Dad and I flew to Peru. The plane made violent dips in altitude and was jerked around for the last half of the flight; even the landing was shaky. That probably didn’t bode well for Tommy Bahama sitting two rows up from me who found it necessary to wear his sunglasses for the entire flight and then remove them every time he needed to locate a flight attendant. From the sights and aromas around me, it appeared that Mr. Bahama went big last night. Thankfully, the flight from Atlanta to San Jose was much calmer.

I arrived at SJO at 11:40 a.m. and waited for over an hour to get through immigration. Once out of immigration I passed through customs with no problems and proceeded to the airport exit where I met up with the CPI driver, Alexis. He took me to CPI where I met up with Mayi (my host-mom) and the rest of the CPI chaperones. I stayed at CPI for about an hour before heading to Mayi’s house for the remainder of today. My first group doesn’t come until Saturday evening so I have plenty of time to prepare for them. I’ll spend two weeks with this group in Monteverde and Flamingo before receiving a West Coast group for 21 days. After the West Coast group I’ll be finished. Amazing.

On a victorious note, my first meal down here was NOT rice and beans. : ) I can’t guarantee what I’ll get for dinner, but it’s a nice start.

Time for a siesta and then hopefully a run later on.

Chao for now!

Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment