Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Daughter of an Art Teacher

I love my parents for many reasons, and each one has given me so many gifts and talents, all of which I am so thankful for. However, today, I must give credit to my mom and having the privilege of growing up the daughter of an art teacher.

Today for our service work we held a day camp for the local children in Monteverde. Yesterday in the CPI we were trying to come up with ideas for the camp to add to the ones we already had. We really wanted to make this special for all involved. We came up with some great ideas and set them into motion. However, upon arriving this morning, we realized we couldn’t locate paper bags for the puppet making and we were really lacking another station.

This is where my background came into play. Because we had tissue paper for the puppet making, but no bags, we were kind of at a loss for what to do with that station. My mind kicked into high gear and soon, with some scissors, string, tissue paper, and quick instruction, we were making colorful paper flowers with the kids.

The group then really wanted to do face painting, but we lacked paint and supplies. One of the other CPI chaperones told me the mini-super across the street had paint but it was only Tempura Paint and they didn’t think that would work. Au contraire. When we were little, Mom used to paint our faces with Tempura paint mixed with a little dish soap for easy removal. I ran across the street, quickly bought the paint, soap and brushes. In no time at all we had the face painting station up and running. It ended up being one of the most popular.

I would like to take credit for saving the camp stations, but this one is going to my mom. I know where most of my creative spirit and intuition comes from and today, it was greatly needed. After a less than stellar volunteer day yesterday, we really needed something great today and we got it.

Thank you, Mom. : )

Writing more later,

Jessica Lynn


P.S. Don't worry, Dad. I know my gymnastics came from you. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment