Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gawking

Courtesy of Merriam Webster:
gawk
Function: intransitive verb
: to gape or stare stupidly

Admittedly, I am a gawker. If I see something intriguing, I am liable to stop for a moment and watch as long as I am not in any danger.

Our new driver is also a gawker but at the most inopportune times. For instance, yesterday in La Carpio he slowed down to watch some men arguing. When those men realized that we were all watching them, they started approaching the bus in an aggressive manner. The driver kept creeping along saying to me “Mira, problemas. Mira! Mira!” (Look, problems!). Yes, that’s great, but there are going to be more problems if these men get any closer to the bus.

The same thing occurred today when leaving La Carpio. A man was being arrested and we had to slow down to watch. Of course, I’m curious to, but not to the extent that I’ll put myself in danger. La Carpio really isn’t a safe place and I don’t need anymore incidents on my record this year. Please, no more gawking.

Secondly, I feel very accomplished today. I managed to call a restaurant and set up a group menu for my group’s banquet dinner on Friday. I typically doubt my Spanish phone skills, but I rocked this one…I think. It all remains to be seen, but I’m feelin’ good.

Thirdly, I saw my mamatica from last year! It was a surprise and I was so excited to see her!! She told me I looked really tired and I asked “Does it really show that much? Because I am exhausted.” : )

Fourthly, I am meeting up on Saturday with my West Coast chaperone from last year. Pura Vida!

Bueno, vamos a participar en la clase de cocina. Mmmm. ¡Qué rico!

¡5 días!

Paz,
Jessica Lynn

1 comment:

  1. JESS cannot believe your time is coming to a close. gonna miss you so!
    ps. props on the menu thing!

    ReplyDelete