Friday, July 9, 2010

Que Linda La Naturaleza

Enfrente del Lago Arenal!

Well what started out as a quiet day quickly turned to chaos. Almost 20km from arriving at our hotel in Arenal, a tired blew on our bus. This meant we all had to get off for an hour while the guide and driver changed it. In order to kill time, we walked around a half mile through the rainforest to get to Arenal Dam. Once we got there, we walked down to the lake below and sat around for a while. Naturally, during this time, the kids started throwing rocks. One errant throw later, we had a boy bleeding from the head.

Because our bus was so far away, we didn’t have a medical kit and the boy was bleeding some, so I hiked back up the dam and asked one of the tour company drivers who was there also with a group if he could help us out. Thankfully, he had a botiquin and the supplies we needed to get the boy cleaned up. He still went to the clinic later and received two stitches.

After finally arriving at the hotel, we quickly checked-in and headed to the hot springs. About an hour into what should be a relaxing trip to the thermal waters, the ambulance had to be called because one of the girls in the group hit her head hard going down the waterslides. She wasn’t taken to the hospital, but she was shaken up, dizzy, and hurting.

When it rains it pours I suppose…

However, after the hot springs, we all boarded the bus and headed to the lava point to watch the volcano erupt. When we got there and disembarked, we stepped out into one of the most beautiful nights I have witnessed here in Costa Rica. The sky was clear, no light pollution in sight and a million stars were surrounding us. The beauty was astonishing and breathtaking. Shortly after arriving, the volcano erupted twice; spewing orange and red hot lava high into the black sky and down the sides of the volcano. It was an incredible sight and probably one of the best lava viewings I have witnessed in the countless times I have gone to see this.

It’s amazing to me that after the chaotic day I could end with something so incredible and wonderful. I finally accepted that after all I have been through down here that I deserved to see something wonderful and to be reminded that there is such amazing, pure beauty in this world. I needed that.

Time to run and prepare to send half of my group back to the states today. Let’s hope for a more seamless transition today!

Lindo amor,
Jessica Lynn

P.S. I’ll tell you what’s not beautiful though, and that’s the stench my running shoes are giving off right now. Oh my.


The first time I really became homesick was upon seeing the lake and houseboat.

No comments:

Post a Comment