Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mom, I'm Alive

First and foremost: Mom, I'm alive.

It's been difficult writing this year. I blame it on Grad classes. I don't go out and my evenings are spent reading chapters upon chapters to keep up with the condensed summer courses I'm in. I've got four courses in total--2 down, 2 to go!

As of Wednesday since I last wrote, I've been to an investment company called CINDE, the U.S. Embassy, and to La Carpio to help build bunk beds for families that need them. Saturday was spent working, holding a meeting with chaperones from a group called Overland, and training our own CPI chaperones about the upcoming West Coast groups. I also read four chapters and completed two modules while 10 loud chaperones seeming had a party inside of the apartment. I sat outside and tried to be productive... : )

This year has been such a different year as a chaperone. I don't know if it's that I feel old (I'm definitely not the oldest), I'm uninterested in all of the 'extracurricular' activities that everyone seems to participate in or that I am type of person that gets mildly stress about school work and makes sure things are done 5 days before they have to be. As it stands, I'm very tranquila this year. I've never been loca, but I would go out in previous years and hang out with the chaperones. This year, I don't have much desire.

No me entiende mal. Don't misunderstand me. I love being here as always. : ) It's been my summer home for five years, but something is different. Outside of Muni, Meggie, Arelys, Jonle and her family, I am missing connections. Granted, I am probably not making them like I should be because I'm absorbed in school work, but my family is enjoying time at our new lake house in Lake Cumberland all summer, and I have a flight to Georgia in mid-July that I'm not-so-patiently waiting to be on. :)

But life is good, and I'm making the best of it while I'm here! I love speaking Spanish all the time. :)

Fun colored house in La Carpio where we delivered the bunkbed. :) 

As close of a picture as I could get of the Embassy--see the guard? I got "No, no Tico" to my picture taking.

Time to head in to CPI and help out with the groups coming in today. My group is out at Manuel Antonio this weekend, and I am meeting up with them in Monteverde tomorrow! Can't wait to be back there. : )

Off for the day!

Chaito,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment