Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mr. Bubbles and Dog Attacks

Correction from yesterday's blog: In regards to the picture of Calvin the Parrot back in Georgia: she is an African Grey Parrot.

^(Guess who gave me that little nugget?) : )

Secondly, I returned to the apartment last night to find this: Who's the wise guy that put Mr. Bubbles in the community fountain?!

Also last night my sister informed me that she got the job she wanted at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in their physical therapy department. I'm incredibly excited for her!! Even if it means no more free yagoot... : )

And then in other news...I finally had to use the pepper spray that my dad once bought me to keep me safe. It's a normal precaution for me to carry it when I run, mostly for dogs, but possibly humans too. Today, I had to take down Kujo.

The dog came after me when I was running early this morning and attacked me from behind, so I never saw it coming. The dog was probably 80-90 pounds, and I had noticed it two nights before because he seemed aggressive and had made me nervous. He kept lunging at me and pawing and scratching and biting despite my best efforts to fend him off.

Here's the kicker: It wasn't even a Monteverde Dog!!
(I have a theory on the stature of Monteverde dogs: short and stocky for aerodynamics due to living on a mountainside with all the wind.)

The horrified mama tica and her child watching from across the street just kept saying, "He's just playing! No es nada." The dog wasn't just playing and I all I could think was, "I ain't playin'!" And with that, one good shot of pepper spray to the muzzle backed him off and sent him whimpering away. Whew...dodged a bullet there.

Thankfully, the injuries sustained were simply some long scratches and nothing more. I was pretty fortunate that where I was bitten didn't indicate any puncture wounds.

On the bright side: Pepper spray does work. : )

Pura vida mae,

Jessica Lynn


1 comment:

  1. ..........and you wonder why I worry about you my child! You are thousands of miles from me and my instinct is to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete