Sunday, June 22, 2014

Me and Bosco

Horseback riding. Oh, blah. 

I try to have a really good attitude about, I really do. It's just that, well, I'm let down every time. Even when I think I've got the docile horse, it ends up biting every other horse by the end of the endeavor. We rode for 40 minutes today, and there were at least 25 horses. You do the math. Nearly every ninety seconds I (well, Bosco) was making another horse angry. Mi caballo loco. 

Me and Bosco

Mi caballo loco. That's actually what the guide said when I got on the horse. He laughed when he said it. I laughed too. Except it was a nervous "is he kidding?" laugh. I could only hope.

The reality? Bosco (I nicknamed him) was a piece of work. For that reason, I couldn’t name him Nibbles. We weren’t solving problems, we were causing them.

(If you are a Reds fan you’ll get the Nibbles reference from the Joey Votto “Mountie” interview. If you’re not a Reds fan, here’s a link: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asf5Exg94NI&feature=kp)

I guess, all in all, I could have had a worse horse. At least this time I stayed on the trail! I also only scratched up one leg as we went barreling down a trail and cut too close to a tree. My fault, I know. My students in the U.S. are probably laughing. They have heard the horse horror stories.

One of the students from the group asked, “Do you not enjoy horseback riding?” I guess I didn’t practice my game face well enough.

Yay horseback riding!

Thankfully, horseback riding is always followed by river tubing! I love that activity! It’s going down rapids in an inner tube. In most instances, I forget all about the horseback riding that led to it. Water, tubing, and rapids. Me encanta.

Following the horseback riding and river tubing, we ate lunch and made our journey back to Monteverde where I finally managed to get my coffee ice cream before watching the U.S. tie Portugal in the World Cup!

Coffee Ice Cream!

All is well in my world.

Pura vida,

Jessica 

No comments:

Post a Comment