Thursday, June 12, 2014

Traveling Light


¡Hola!

The blog is back up for the summer! I arrived yesterday evening to the new and improved Juan Santamaria International Airport.  Since I’ve been here, the airport has taken on some major improvements!

I was picked up by a driver that I know and recognized from previous trips down here, and soon we were headed to the apartment where I’ll be staying for a few days. Upon arriving, I met some of the chaperones who I’ll be working alongside this summer (one of them is UD student! Go Flyers!). After talking for a while, it was apparent that we were all tired so we headed to bed. I have the top bunk. It was amazingly hot up there. Maybe we can crack a window tonight…?

This morning I arrived at work and spoke to one of my bosses in Monteverde. It was so good to hear her voice! Saturday I’ll be picking up my first group (high school), so today is a free day for me and tomorrow I’ll have a little bit of work to do in preparation.

On my flight down I realized that I feel very different on this trip than in past years.  I almost didn’t believe that I was flying to Costa Rica.  There was an inner calm within me, and I felt ready to enjoy the next month—not anxiousness or dread.  That’s a far cry from how my life has unraveled these past six months. In searching for an inner peace for this summer, I had a particular song in my head this week past week and on the flight down. It’s called “Traveling Light” by Joel Hanson and Sara Groves. Some of the lyrics are as follows:

Well I was doubling over the load on my shoulders
Was a weight I carried with me everyday
Crossing miles of frustrations and rivers a raging
Picking up stones I found along the way
I staggered and I stumbled down
Pathways of trouble
I was hauling those souvenirs of misery
And with each step taken my back was breaking
'Til I found the One who took it all from me

Down by the riverside
I laid my burdens down,
Now I'm traveling light
My spirit lifted high
I found my freedom now
And I'm traveling light

This is continues to be my anthem for the moment. Traveling light. I feel free. I feel burden-less. And I choose to continue to feel this way. I am so ready for wherever this summer takes me.

No exciting Tico stories yet. I’ll keep you posted!

Viajar ligero,

Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment