Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Cereza (Cherry) On Top



I just came off some of my most favorite days in Costa Rica this summer. I spent 3 days with the guys from Georgia Southern, laughing at their antics and trying my best to fit in. I really don’t mind being just one of the guys sometimes…

We stayed in two different hostels and although I know it’s not for everybody, I woke up smiling the very first morning after staying the first hostel. Why? Because it was exactly how I would imagine my Costa Rica experience to be if I weren’t working all summer. The plan was not to have a plan the whole three days and just go with whatever came our way. I am surely considered odd for getting excited about hostel living, but I like the culture, the day to day living, the simplicity, and the fun that comes with it. So they may not be the cleanest places to stay, but it’s never really bothered me.

Anyway, we did some exploring at the nearby beaches; we drank Coco Frios in the morning, and had a local hangout at night where we could relax. Thankfully, I’m not too burnt from it all.

On Thursday, we switched up hostels and headed to La Oveja Negra and moved into a shared room with just the four of us. I’ll be lucky if all of my stuff made it home because it took roughly 7 minutes for the guys’ backpacks to explode around the room. Even though I kept my stuff neatly together, I still have a feeling something got lost in their disastre. Truthfully though, they make awesome roommates.

This morning, I hopped on Interbus and made my way back to the Central Valley before meeting up with my good friend Kelli Finch in Heredia. Kelli and I went to college together, lived in Spain together and survived “The Iz” together. I love seeing her when I’m down here. We decided to grab some food at a street fair that I noticed on my bus ride into town. The food was incredible. I had a tamale for dinner and churros for dessert. I couldn’t imagine a better way to cap off my already amazing summer.

All right, I’m chillin’ at the Holiday Inn right now, and contemplating getting some sleep before rolling out at 4:00 a.m. to catch my flight.

Still struggling with the concept that my summer is ending down here…

Love you all,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment