Monday, July 18, 2011

Southern Love



I’ll go ahead and write it: I love my Georgia Southern group. Maybe it’s because they are so tranquilo and pura vida or maybe it’s because they are a genuinely nice group of students with a genuinely nice professor. It could also be because they are relatively my age, and I can actually hang out with them in the evenings without being their chaperona. : )

Although I have been affectionately labeled abuelita (grandma) by a few because I tend to check my watch as it gets later in the evenings, I truly enjoy spending time with them and getting to know them as friends. Tuanis.

This past weekend was spent with them in Monteverde (another love of mine), so I’ll recap quickly:

Friday night = Bar Amigos.
Good times and great dancing. I love to dance. I am learning all sorts of new moves from the guys in this group (including an over the shoulder flip). The guys in this group love to dance and if any girl is sitting down, they will grab one by the hand and pull her to the dance floor. It doesn’t matter the song or the girl, they are dancing.

Saturday = Santa Elena Reserve hike and Extremo Canopy.
Santa Elena: Well this was one for the books. On the way up to the entrance of the reserve, a man flagged us down on the side of the road and said because it was raining so much a bridge was impassable with a bus of our size. So we were dumped off about 3 km from the entrance (roughly 2 miles, uphill). And…I had spent a week telling the group how much I loved Monteverde and how beautiful the mornings are. Go figured, it poured all morning. So two miles uphill and in the rain does not make a happy group. Especially when the walk lasted an hour and they still had to hike two more hours within the park…in the rain.

I should mention the stomach virus going around Monteverde that got the best of a few of the students too. I only slept three hours the night before after staying up with a sick girl. So, after we got to the top some of the students fell ill and I began the search for a way to get them back down the mountain. Santísima. Thankfully, it was finally determined that bus could in fact pass over the bridge, so we at least got picked up and didn’t have to hike back to the bus. I didn’t go on the nature hike because 1) I didn’t want to anymore and 2) I needed to stay with the sick group members.

Extremo: Amazing. Always. And it stopped raining. I swore up and down to my group that if was still raining during the zipline, I was NOT going. I love to zipline too. I did the Tarzan jump backwards this time and of course, was first in line for the superman cable. I love adventure. : )

Saturday Night = Gerry! And Bar Amigos again
Gerry was in MV as well on Saturday! We met up and went out with my group. I’ve missed dancing with Gerry…so we danced a lot. It was great : ) I also only got about 1.5 hours of sleep that night, but that’s another story for another time…

Sunday = Sugarcane Tour
Trapiche: Trapiche is the sugarcane tour, and I took every opportunity to ingest pure sugarcane or coffee just to stay awake. Afterward, we got on the bus and headed back to Heredia. I don’t remember much from the bus trip though. It was lights out.

Today, incredibly, I had a bunch of energy so I’ve been out back in the cancha de fútbol throwing backtucks and backflips. : )

Time to really work…

Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment