Monday, July 4, 2011

Weekend Update

That's definitely a mariposa on my head. : )


From Sunday, July 3


Saturday was spent in La Carpio working with the Costa Rican Humanitarian Foundation. The organization was founded by Gail Nystrom who came to Costa Rica around 35 years ago with the Peace Corps and has stayed every since. She has dedicated her life to this town and seeing that it pulls itself out of poverty by its own merit and hard work. It’s an impoverished area with a lot of crime that was initially started by Nicaraguan refugees. The CRHF has so many wonderful projects going on to help teach skills to the people within the city, not just hand out money. It’s an important trait for the people to learn—that hard work, dedication and trust will help them out of their current state. I am impacted every time I walk in.

Saturday night was spent out with some friends at 212 (Two-Twelve/Dos Doce). It’s a disco that is rather close to my house, and it’s great! : ) I made it an early night though because I needed to be up at 5 a.m. on Sunday to run and pick up the group for their excursion.

Sunday we headed to Poas Volcano and it was a gorgeous morning. The volcano is a crater and it was so beautiful yesterday. We were very lucky that the clouds hadn’t overtaken it when we arrived! Following Poas, we head to La Paz Waterfall Gardens which houses all sorts of biodiversities and animals, as well as the waterfall itself. Naturally, it started raining before we even started the two hour hike. Being Miss Preparada I had a rain jacket, keen sandals and my umbrella to stay dry. And boy, did I ever. Besides my sandals, I was dry to the bone. : )

Poas Volcano with my UD Magazine


Sunday night was spent back the apartment with Meggie and Claire watching a movie and hanging out after Skyping my family back home. : )

Hasta pronto,
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment