Monday, July 4, 2011

Notes to Self



Notes to Self:


1. Arroz con Pollo (chicken with rice) can NOT be made with just any old rice. Just ask our cook at CPI. On second thought, don’t. You’ll get an earful. Just trust me on this one.

2. There is a secret subculture within our choferes that has to do with nicknames and then having those nicknames on a faux license plate in their front windshield. (i.e. CABALLO (horse); CHIQUITIN (little guy); CACHETES (cheeks…on your face); SUAREZ (his last name)). It’s quite the reveal when they pull up in the bus and you are anxiously awaiting the big reveal as to who your driver really is.

3. It’s an issue for me that, in heels, I am taller than 80% of the tico men at the disco.

4. I think I failed to mention that the man-eating rottweiler is a SHE.

5. I still don’t like snakes…even if they are in cages.

6. I have a two mile loop that I’ve run 13 times this week. I averaged 15 minutes and 48 seconds per lap. That’s about a 7:54 mile. I’ll take it.

7. I ate yogurt and granola for lunch today. I think my tummy actually smiled. This is my first rice and bean-less day since I’ve been here.

8. Skype is amazing.

9. The quickest way to make a man uninterested in you down here (gringo or tico) is to tell them you are super independent and not interested in starting a family…even five years from now. Easy. I don’t even have to pretend to have a boyfriend.

10. It’s been 5 years since I’ve celebrated within the U.S.A. Happy 4th of July : ) Feliz dia de Independencia



La gringa (and proud of it),


Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment