Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Great Day

From July 25th


Well, today was great. I woke up at 5:30 a.m., went on a 10 mile run, came back, had some breakfast, and headed to the beach. I spent the next three hours nearly all alone on the beach with my iPod and book. The sun was shining, the water was cool and the morning was all mine.

I did see some small manta rays in the water, so I didn’t venture too far in to the surf—just enough to get the piggies wet and cool off. Some of you may not know this, but I’m not the biggest fan of the ocean to begin with, so seeing any sort of creature (minus fish) in the water is enough to keep me out. I am a lake girl through and through.

It should be noted that when I returned later to my home stay a man had his foot in a bucket of water, grimacing in pain. He had begun stung by a manta ray. Point proven.

Anyway, I was on the beach until about 11:30 when I had to return and get ready to meet my group for their volunteer work in a nearby town. This is a very hands-off, independent group, so I don’t have to do too much with them. It will make an easy next few days. : )

After working at the volunteer site for a few hours, I returned to a wonderfully cold shower (I’m being serious) and went for an ice cream run. Family traditions will always stick with me. (The ice cream run, not the shower). By the way, I have never taken a warm shower on the coast when living with a host family--it’s much too hot for anything but a cold shower. Even then, I still begin sweating immediately after stepping out of the shower.



Time for some food and sleep...

Beach bummin',
Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment