Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Personal Porristas

There's a fire starting in my heart... -Adele- Rolling the in Deep-


Porristas: cheerleaders


Ever wake up in the morning hoping and praying that something will snap you out of the rather unpleasant mood you woke up in? That was me this morning. I went to bed mad and woke up mad. Given that I am a generally happy and optimistic person, this was a particularly troublesome way to start my day. My four mile run turned to eight out of sheer frustration and annoyance—and the hope that running longer might burn off some of that steam.

And then, around mile 5, my day completely turned around. I was approaching two women who had been out walking the same loop that I was running, and I had already passed them once before. The first time, I smiled pleasantly and said “¡Buenos días!” I like to greet people while I’m running and they often greet me back. The women, wearing such kind expressions, sweetly responded back in the same manner. They genuinely meant ‘good morning’ as opposed to the security guard that calls out to me every morning trying to get my attention. But I digress…

Anyway, the second time I approached the women, I could see them smiling and anticipating our passing from about 50 meters away. As I ran past, they started clapping and cheering ‘¡Increible, Increible! ¡Muy buena, amiga!’By 6:15 this morning, my day had already been recharged and renewed. I don’t know if it was the cheering or the warm smiles from the women that made me so happy, but I smiled for the rest of my run. Gracias, amigas. I needed that.

Anyway, I’m here in the office this morning getting ready to start work. Today is going to be a good day. I’ll see to it that no one brings me down today. I am in Costa Rica, pura vida.

One smile can make all the difference,

Jessica Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment